Friday 18 July 2008

Rainy Season Blues

I’m feeling a bit down at the moment, maybe it’s the grey skies and rain although I do try to join in the general happiness at the sight of rain. I’m also starting to question just how much difference we (volunteers) can make. All the Eritreans I speak to seem very pessimistic about the future and the longer I’m here the more I agree with them. And we’ve got it easy in comparison.

Having spent four weeks in almost daily trips to the M of Ed., our employers, we’ve been allocated a bottle of gas. Bureaucracy rules here. Suffice it to say that even the Indian teachers here (of whom there are many) complain of it. It’s been a hard slog but worth it to be able to cook again. Stupidly we hadn’t got our ration cards sorted so weren’t able to get any kerosene when it made a brief appearance at the gas stations last week.

Four more vols leaving in the next week, two for ever, two going home for the hols. We’re looking forward to meeting the new volunteers coming in September, there’s fourteen on the list of being offered placements but so far only four have accepted. Don’t let me put you off with my moaning, I’m a slightly depressive sort of person, we’d love to have you here and I promise to be more up-beat when I meet you.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment