Saturday 29 March 2008

Shops are becoming barer and prices are going up. There have always been a small range of goods in the shops with the same things in all the shops and arranged strategically on the shelves so they don’t look too empty but it’s becoming more marked. It must have been happening for a while but it was suddenly brought home to me yesterday. I bought a tin of oats (breakfast) and the price had gone from 40 nakfa to 50. There are 30 nakfa to the pound. It may not sound a lot but consider that our local wages are 1,230 a month (41 sterling). We also get a top-up every three months from VSO who feel our local wages are not enough to live on and they pay our rent. Even with this safety net we’re finding it difficult to live within our nakfa allowance and have had to change some of the money we brought with us. How much more difficult must it be for the Eritreans supporting a family, and rent to find. Some are lucky and have relatives in the diaspora who send money. The majority are only just managing. And I’m seeing only Asmara. The rest of the country have it worse. These wonderful people are having a bad time. You get the feeling that something’s got to give.

I’ve just read P’s draft blog. It seems our minds are both working in the same direction today. I can’t say much about the little girl. Just the thought of her makes me want to cry. Even VSO tell us it’s best not to let children in but I just want her to come back so I can feed and clothe her and make her happy.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment