Sunday 2 March 2008

Football

Saturday 1st March

Ministry of Education Football

Saturday was the day for me to try and continue with my playing-football-everywhere ambition and, let's face it, I've played in some pretty out-of-the-way places – even once in New Jersey.

Football practice for the Ministry of Education is on Saturday morning, so I'm lying on my back in a pile of dust at around 7:30am (yes that's AM on a Saturday) looking up at an early-morning crescent moon listening to the coach exhorting the guys to greater sit-up efforts and thinking 'this is quite strange, really' and 'good job there's a beer shortage, my head feels fine' ... Earlier, I'd already started to blame the altitude for my inability to keep up in the running part of training – it WILL get better!

Later in the practice match, from my position on the left wing, I didn't do too badly – breathing became easier – and I was on the winning side! The reason for the 7:00am start became obvious, the sun was quite fierce by 9:15 which was when the final whistle was blown – next time I hope not to fade so much in the second half.

Plus, I learned a few Eritrean football shouts ('Bella' and 'Bravo Abdou!' mixed in with Tigrinya – 'kid' – for example 'Kid Daoud!' means 'Go Daoud!').

Sunday 2nd – just strolled outside our front gate to be greeted by an amused good morning nod from a guy riding a bicycle one-handed ... mind you, he was leading a horse with his other one – this is just a scene from daily life where walking and cycling are the main means of transport. The other cycling style in Asmara – the elite- is colourfully lycra-clad and riding expensive racing bikes (Colnago, Bianchi, Trek, etc) – a legacy from Italian times but with moden bikes.

One final note if anyone needs to contact us the 'old' way it's either of us, c/o VSO Eritrea, PO Box 5565, Asmara, Eritrea.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment