Friday 23 May 2008

Independence

It’s Friday of Independence week and holiday euphoria is definitely in the air. If anyone is thinking of coming to visit next year, this is one of the (many) good times to come (although I guess the downside is that it would be difficult to travel outside of Asmara). We were invited to a Ministry party last night as part of the Independence celebrations and afterwards we walked along Harnet Avenue and watched the parade, crowds of people (I’ve never seen so may people in Asmara), floats, dancers, lights and everyone so happy. Phil thinks he saw the President wandering in the crowds, I feel it may have been a look-a-like but Phil is good at spotting people so who knows. There’s more of the same tonight, this time with the addition of fireworks.

This has been Bethan’s (my VSO colleague in the office) last week at work (boo-hoo, I’m sorry to see her go, I’ll miss her, hooray,I can move onto her computer which has Internet access.) We all went out for a traditional goodbye meal with injeera and zigni and lots of good things on Tuesday. Drank mess, a traditional drink made with honey, similar to the Cornish mead. It’s a very good drink which unfortunately slips down a bit too easily.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment